Here’s your chance to interview a Maine visual artist and ask the questions you’ve been dying to ask, or you may do an “inner view” and interview yourself, answering the questions you’ve always wanted and/or the ones you have avoided asking yourself.
Please submit a couple of questions and answers along with four images of your chosen artist’s work and, if possible, a photo of the artist.
Here are some possible questions to get you started:
Do you eat while you are making art? What?
Does your work aim at hiding or revealing? What?
What are your main sources of inspiration? Do you steal images and/or ideas? From whom? From where?
How do you deal with fame, notoriety, or neglect?
How do you deal with self-doubt?
Who do you paint for? Yourself or an audience? Who are you trying to please?
What are you obsessed with? Why?
Do you intend your work to reflect the times we live in?
Journal Submission guidelines for UMVA Members’ Showcase
Deadline: 1 December 2021.
- We invite MAJ member artists (to become a member: click here) to submit up to 4 JPEG or png images (NO TIFF files), approximately 2800 pixels on width, resolution 72dpi.
- Include an image list and statement or brief essay (600 words or less) in Word doc. format, NOT a PDF.
- Label each image file as follows: your last name_Number of Image_Title (with no spaces in the title). Please DO NOT put whole caption/credit in image file label, see image list/caption format below (if you are submitting for a group put your own last name in first).
- Label your document file names: Last Name_Title
- Image list/caption format: create a list that is numbered to match the number in your image file label that includes the following: Artist’s Name, Title of Work, medium, size (example: 9 x 12 in.), date (optional), photo credit (example: photo: Ansel Adams) if not included we assume it is courtesy of the artist. Example: Unknown Artist, Untitled, oil on canvas, 9 x 12 in., 2000 (photo: Ansel Adams).
- Please wait until all of your material is compiled to submit.
Put “Interview – Inner View ” in the subject line and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the December 1st deadline. MAJ will limit the “Members’ Showcase” section to UMVA members who have not been published in the past year.
We are no longer able to accommodate artists’ pre-formatted visual essays. Our editors will lay-out text and images submitted using the new guidelines above.
It is the MAJ’s policy to request and then publish image credits. We will not publish images the submitter does not have the right to publish. However, it is to be assumed that any uncredited or unlabeled images are the author’s/submitter’s own images. By submitting to the MAJ, you are acknowledging respect for these policies.
MAJ Editorial Board
Natasha Mayers, Nora Tryon, Véronique Plesch, and Betsy Sholl (poetry editor)
Image at top: Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, Narcissus, oil on canvas, 113 x 95 cm., 1597, Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Antica, Rome (photo: Wikimedia Commons; work is in the public domain).