To that end, the UMVA creates better communication and support among artists and advocates for artists’ interests and rights.
The Union’s most important programs include a website, featuring members’ artwork, the online Maine Arts Journal: UMVA Quarterly (art magazine) and newsletter (with pertinent announcements).
Currently there are two active UMVA chapters, one in Portland and one in Lewiston-Auburn. The Portland chapter maintains the CTN Gallery on Congress St. with rotating member shows.
Union of Maine Visual Artists Current Board Members:
- Robert Shetterly (UMVA President, Maine artist, activist and creator of the Americans Who Tell the Truth portrait series)
- Natasha Mayers (Maine activist artist, founder of ARRT!, and editor of the MAJ)
- Mary Laury (director of Schoodic Arts )
- Richard Kane (Maine Masters)
- William Hessian (chair of Portland chapter of the UMVA and Maine artist)
- Cynthia Hyde (Caldbeck Gallery and Maine artist)
- Jackie Bennet (treasurer)
Membership is open to visual artists and members of the arts community living in or connected to the state of Maine.